Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Eat to Live

I found and tweaked new recipe:
I saw a casserole recipe on vegweb yesterday and loved the thought of the combination of flavors it could contain, so I made a soup along similar lines. This was the first time I have ever tasted or used dark miso (barley miso) and I absolutely loved it! It is a COOKED soup. It would not be too difficult to convert this to a raw recipe!

Let's see if I can remember how I did this:

vegetable broth
a couple tbsp dark miso
small amount of olive oil or grapeseed oil (I used olive this time)
1 onion (it was all I had! Next time I will use a couple of onions)
2 ribs celery
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 can organic red beans. drained and rinsed
about 1-1/2 cups raw cashews (these were halves.)
1 can petite cut tomatoes (I was out of fresh.)

Heat some water to boiling. Remove from heat, pour about 1 cup of it over the miso and stir gently until mixed well. Set aside.

Chop onion and celery; cook gently in olive oil until the onion begins to go transparent. Add crushed/minced garlic and heat, stirring, until onions and celery are tender. Stir in cashews, cook a couple of minutes. Add beans tomatoes and enough vegetable broth to make the soup (I used one quart this time. Next time I make MORE!) Cook over med heat until heated through.

Stir in miso and remove from heat. As I understand it, you don't want to boil miso.

This was amazingly delish! Jon said it was perfect :) Next time I will definitely add mushrooms and probably more garlic. I might also add some bell peppers and zucchini, some thyme... who knows! The kids really liked it, so I know they'll eat it when I make a larger batch.

I got some new toys:
I have new toys in my kitchen, thanks to our tax refund! They are used every day, and I feel they will pay for themselves in absolutely NO TIME whatsoever.

The first is a dehydrator. I got the Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator and I now feel like the opportunities for raw vegan deliciousness are totally unlimited! I have made sunflower seed burgers, nut loaf, eggplant and zucchini chips, dried apples, and KALE chips (which are out of this world!) so far. It would be very easy to keep it running 24x7. I am gearing up to make some raw bagels and some raw corn chips in it over the next few days. YES!!!

The second is a Blendtec blender. It is super-powerful; in fact, it is so powerful I was really afraid to use it at first. Oh, I love this machine! You can do so much with it, and it is much easier to use than I initially feared. I now use it every day, so I am creating a dedicated space for it on the counter. The kids have their own smoothie machine and cups, which they LOVE, but this thing outdoes it by far. I have no problem drinking green smoothies made with it, since there aren't leaf shreds left floating in it when the cycle is done. YES! It also seems to attack raspberry seeds with a vengeance, so I can throw berries in my drinks, too! I have always had a severe aversion to foods with bitty little seeds in it. My daughter loves my Blendtec blender so much she got one yesterday, too.

I guess I've gone on long enough... I guess this one's all about the eating. Maybe I'll dedicate the next one to knitting... or spinning... or weaving... or something crafty! Then again, maybe not...

Oh, and I am down 22 lbs now :)

I'm a new Me!






No comments: