Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Great Way to Dye - Finale

Drumroll, please - We have YARN! I took some pics of it, and I'm sorry the indoor light isn't great for this. There is beautiful color in the yarn that I am not sure will show up here, but we'll give it a shot.

I am so pleased with the results from this experiment. Given the four colors I used this time, I can see many different combinations I would LOVE to have. Then to think of all of the other colors that are out there - I am giddy!

The top picture shows the gauge I chose to spin this yarn to start with. After I had two bobbins each half-full (or is it half empty?) I plied them together onto one other bobbin (middle photo.) I think you get a good idea from this middle photograph how the colors play in the yarn. Maybe it was a bit much yarn for one bobbin- all said, it comes to just over 4 oz by the kitchen scale.

The final photo shows the end result: a lovely skein of colorful yarn! (Too bad the colors don't show so well in this pic.) I spun this a little thicker than my usual, and i love it. I am going to make some toe-up croc sox out of it. There are about 330 yards of 2-ply yarn to work with.

I have almost 4 oz left of the roving. I think I will spin it about the same and use it, single-ply, as laceweight for a shawl or scarf.

I am so pleased with the results. I will definitely use the Wilton's icing coloring to dye more roving, once this is used. I am trying not to become a stash-aholic; I will use what I have (or at least have it on the needles!) before I go investing in any more.

No comments: