Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Great Way to Dye

Over in Ravelry Land I've seen so many folks who are dyeing their own fiber or yarn. I bought some recently that someone else had dyed, and it spun into such *lovely* yarn! ==>

I have been itching to try my hand at dyeing my own fiber, so tonight I am giving it a shot. I wanted to try for some greens, browns, purples and blues, with alot of white left in it.

I am finding much conversation about dyeing yarn and fiber with Kool Aid, mostly because it is so much safer to work with. I don't have KoolAid, but I have a ton of Wilton's icing colors left over from the many wedding cakes I've done. I'd MUCH rather dye fiber with it!

With my handy tutorial from http://gfwsheep.com/rov.inst/rov.inst.html, some Wilton's icing dyes, some vinegar and a syringe, I got started. I wanted to keep lots of the natural color mixed in with the dyed areas, so I decided to basically drip the dyes in rows over the coopworth roving.
I am using violet, delphine blue, leaf green and golden yellow.





I am hoping that the yellow and violet will make some warm brown in some areas... We will see!

After I got the dye splattered all over the place, I rolled the roving up in plastic rolls and put it in a steamer. The roving should just about be done with steaming now, so I'll go take care of it. I'll post the results, good or bad, later!


1 comment:

craftymomofjandb said...

cool idea using the syringe. i never thought of that