Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

And the doctor says...

The news wasn't all that bad! Thyroid, kidney, liver functions all great. Blood sugar great. Potassium, calcium, chloride, and the other one were great. Blood pressure was the best it's been for a while!

As far as the cholesterol numbers go, they need help but overall weren't too bad. My mother's total cholesterol was over 300 for a good while and she has been taking meds for years. The numbers I got back today were:

triglycerides: 127 (should be 0-149)
HDL: 45 (should be in the 50's to 60's)
VLDL: 25 (should be 5-40)
LDL: 127 (standard is 0-99, but with high blood pressure and meds, aim for 70's to 80's)
Total Cholesterol: 197 (should be 100-199)

The HDL is the 'good' cholesterol, and it is rather low; the LDL is the 'bad' cholesterol, and it is high (not soaring, but still of concern). We're pretty certain that the cause is genetics, since I have been focusing on my eating and exercise for many months and am already doing the things that are suggested as the first steps in lowering cholesterol. We discussed the possibilities of medications and vitamins and fish oils... Since I have been through so much in the past few years (hysterectomy, severe allergic reactions, hernia repair surgery, more anaphylaxis to name but a few...) we agreed that we will not be passive, but will work to get it under control NOW. I expressed my concerns with the statins (and lack of education regarding them), and figure that is probably how we will end up going. We're going to add more fish oils into the diet, and make sure I'm getting my B vitamins. It is a hard decision, but I feel I have to give serious thought to the lipitor or zocor (since there is a generic available and our insurance is SO lame in what they will cover if it isn't generic) In any case, we are monitoring this closely now, as well as the metabolic panel, and I am bound and determined to get healthy!

blah blah blah... enough of the medical stuff. This afternoon I intend to make lunch, clean up and do some crafting. I will also do some more descriptions for the website, but I want to have something created today. That always inspires me to keep on going!

Have a blessed day!

No comments: