Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Weighing In

This past month has been awful as far as weight-loss goes. Obviously, I gained. Lots of reasons/excuses, like the prednisone I had to take for so long, and the trip to Ohio, and dealing with the bladder/kidney infection. Truth is, ups and downs to happen. The question is, how am I going to react when the scales read heavier?

In times past, the numbers on the scale would have been devastating. I would have reacted by - can you guess it? - running to the fridge for some "comfort food." That is the wrong reaction if I want to get back on a losing trend! Old habits die hard, but they CAN die. The right response is to settle down after the initial freakout and continue to eat correctly. If I have fallen off the wagon, then I must stand up, dust off, and jump back on.

I gained 8 lbs over the course of the past month, most of that from the prednisone, but some of it from not eating properly on my trip. At this point I am down 5 of those pounds and looking forward to getting the rest back off! I CAN get below 170, and I fully intend to!

This experience has reminded me of how so many people react to mistakes we might make in other areas of our lives, especially in our relationsips with God. If (when) we do make a mistake, are we going to try to hide from Him, claiming that He couldn't possibly want us around anymore? Are we going to run? Are we going to become belligerant? Do we just give up and sink lower because we don't want to have to start all over in our walks with Him? Or do we go to Him, confess our mistakes, purpose to turn from the mistakes and pick up where we left off?

So many people don't know it's an option. I John 1:9 says that if we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Jesus' sacrifice was once, and for all. You can't take that away! We are restored to right standing with God - righteousness! - and are able at that point to start growing in Him again.

So whether it is spiritual or physical, I purpose not to run to the fridge for comfort, but rather run into the open arms of my Loving Father. Here I come...

No comments: